2.11.2017

Sew Saturday ~ Grandma's Quilt

Grandma's quilt was such a special project.  My grandma weighs about 80 lbs, sometimes less, and is always cold.  She's in a care home right now and I created this orange peel quilt to keep her warm and brighten her room.  Over the summer she had a setback and we weren't sure she was going to make it, but she pulled through and I was able to hand deliver her quilt to her. 


For those who helped me decide I went for the dark border and dark binding.  It really made the quilt pop!


She kept petting the quilt and admiring how soft it was.  I used snuggle fabric on the back both for warmth and weight.

Me and grandma

My grandma couldn't let me go without giving me something so she went to her room and brought out these two sweet birds for me to take home with me.  It's just like her.  


I forgot to add a label before I left for CA, but my old hometown now has a quilt store.  Bonus!  I went shopping.  I got label yardage and a license plate from the store.  This is the town I was born and raised in, so it was an extra special surprise to find they had those fabric licenses.  I'm still not sure what I am going to do with all of them I have collected, but I am enjoying collecting them. 


While I was there this rose was in bloom.  It comes from a graft from one of my grandpa's roses.  He passed away when I was in 8th grade,but he had the most spectacular rose garden and he gave several rose starts to my mom from his bushes.  It felt like a special gift from heaven saying he was proud of me for taking care of grandma.  I know that's kind-of silly, but it's also kind-of sweet.  The rose smelled so good, and it was so thoughtful of my mom and dad to put it in my room for me.

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Beautiful quilt. I am sure your grandmother loved it.
A special rose too. TFS

Sherry said...

awesome job on the quilt! beautiful rose too!!!