10.17.2015

Calling All Sistahs ~ Facing My Fears

Back in September I had the pleasure of meeting this amazing woman. The picture below is of me with Michele Gross, the genius behind CAS*ual Fridays Stamps, at Niagra Falls.  This was on the fifth day of our retreat and by this time I am already thinking of her as a Sistah!  God didn't give me a biological sister, but he has blessed me with an abundance of sister-friends.  <3



As we sat on the front porch of our "retreat house" the first morning after we met, Michele got a call from her doctor.  You can read about Michele's story HERE and HERE.  In a nutshell she found a lump on August 17th that proved to be cancer. The phone call she received that day was one that gave her options.


As she shared her story with us I was shocked by the things I didn't know about breast cancer, genetic testing, statistics and reconstruction.  There are options out there that I didn't know we had.  The earlier the cancer is detected, the more options we have.

Like many of you, breast cancer has struck people I love.  Women and men.  (yes, men can get breast cancer too)  Family members, friends, neighbors and former classmates.  Some have survived, and sadly others have not.  It is a sensitive subject for sure, but I think we need to start talking about it.  That is why I have been going pink on my blog this month.  I want to dispel some of the myths that have kept me in fear,and hopefully encourage you to "check yourself".  



Early detection is so crucial for curing this cancer.  It can be the difference between life cancer free and death.  It is that serious, my friend.  This year I turned 40.  I have a family history of breast cancer.  It is time for me to start getting yearly mammograms, and I am scared.  But, I am going to do it. For me, for my family and even for you, because I can't ask you to do something I'm not willing to do myself.


A year is a long time to wait though, so monthly self exams are important too.

 Michele was reminded monthly to do her self exam due to a campaign run through her local news station.  She missed that date in August, but when she remembered she did her self exam.  It was on August 17th that she found the lump.  During the long weekend an idea took shape and Michele decided to start a campaign on her blog to spread the word.  She is calling it "Calling All Sistahs".  On the 17th of each month she will put a call out on her blog to remind us to do our exams.  We are encouraged to spread the word and remind the women in our lives to do the same.  This could save your life, and Sistah, your life is so valuable to me.  


I'm adding this picture to my sidebar.  My hope is that when you see it you will be reminded to do a quick check, schedule your mammogram or remind a friend to do the same.  I encourage you to add this picture to your blog too.  Together we are stronger.


Some of my creative Sistahs from the StampNation & Stamp of Approval Dream Team

Thank you, Michele, for sharing your story.  I cannot tell you how much it impacted me.  I believe your story will save some lives and I am honored to do my part. Cancer picked the wrong woman to mess with!  Now, may all your 5oz. taste like 20oz.  I'm praying for you!

Ok Sistah, it's time to check yourself!


Stamps: Calm and Gentle (CAS*ual Fridays Stamps)
Ink: Versamark, Onyx Black Versafine
Paper: Whisper White, Vellum Cardstock
Accessories: Scallop Tags Fri Dies(CAS*ual Fridays Stamps) Blueprints 20 Dies (My Favorite Things) Pink Pirouette Taffeta Ribbon, Melon Mambo Embossing Powder (SU)

2 comments:

Kristie Goulet said...

This is an amazing post, Heather and I am so very thankful to call you sistah! xoxo

Kathy Mc said...

What a beautiful post, Heather. I can tell your heart is really into this campaign. Yay, Sistah!