5.10.2015

Sew Sunday + Pillowcases

Last week was our quilt guild's 2nd Birthday/Anniversary.  What do you call it when a guild reaches its 2 year mark?  Whatever you call it, it was a blast!  There are so many reasons I am proud of our guild.  Most especially because our focus is on giving to others, learning & growing in our quilting and encouraging one another no matter where we are on our quilt journey.

One of the things I truly love about our guild is the opportunity for charity work. We always have something we are working on to give back to our community.  This month it was pillowcases.  We are donating these pillowcases to the pediatric unit of a local hospital.  I've never made pillowcases before so I headed to youtube to learn how.


There are several great ones out there, including this one.  Not only was this my first time making pillowcases, but I think it was also the first time I made a French Seam. It's so much easier than I thought it would be, and I love the results.  I'll have to try adding it to some of the bags I want to make.


It was so much fun to pull out fabric that I had in my stash from some PJs I had made for my boys when they were little.   I also hit the bright fabric aisle of my local quilt store and picked out some bright pieces.  These pillowcases are the first things I've sewn on my new sewing machine and I had sew much fun!  No wonder people like quilting with bright fabric.  It just makes us happy.


At the meeting I got back my Art's Walk quilt.  I think I'm going to make a matching pillowcase before I donate it.   At the meeting we also did a low volume charm swap.  Who knew low volume could be sew exciting?  We are doing sprout blocks for our next charity quilt as a guild and I'm looking forward to digging into my new bundle of fabric.


There has been no progress on my A Lovely Year of Finishes goal.  This past week has been too busy for any sewing.  :(   Thankfully, this week is going to be much less hectic...hopefully.  :)  My plan this afternoon is to spend some time sewing and finding out how to FMQ on my new machine.  Hope you are all having a wonderful Mother's Day and spending time with your family or your sewing machine.  <3

No comments: