1.26.2015

Sew Monday ~ ALYOF January

My husband got a new TV & DVD player for Christmas and we got a reclining love seat for the Den.  That meant lots of movies to watch in January and an early finish to my January goals.  I have a hard time just sitting and watching TV, so I enjoy doing needle work.  When the show is boring I can do more complex applique, when it is intense I can whip out a binding in no time.

alyof2015
January Finish


My ALYOF goal for January was to complete my Jelly Roll Race quilt.  If you remember I ran into a snag a couple of months ago trying to quilt it.  Literally TONS of snags.  My machine was eating my thread.  I finally figured out the problem.  I was using Aurifill thread I had won last year and didn't pay attention to the thread weight.  Silly me, I assumed they were like the others I had purchased at my local quilt shop.  Even though I changed threads, they were from the same pack, so they were all super thick.  Even changing my needle didn't work because I need a larger size eye than I have. 



The great thing about this mistake is that it gave me freedom to put my pedal to the medal and just freely quilt that puppy up.  There was no way I was going to pull out all those threads and start over.  I wanted this quilt done so I could give it away. 


Can you believe how sunny it is?!  Yesterday it was 61 degrees.  My husband and I almost took the top down on the convertible.  Almost.  :)  The weather could easily turn and we could have snow and ice next week, but today I am basking in the sunshine and soaking up some Vitamin D. 


How are you doing on your goals this month?  You still have a few more days to link up with Shanna & Melissa over at A Lovely Year of Finishes.  I need to complete another quilt so I have a binding to work on again.  :) 


6 comments:

Alanna said...

It's beautiful. Congrats on finishing the quilt.

Kristie Goulet said...

Heather, this quilt is beautiful!!! I LOVE it!!! Jealous of the sunshine you have!

ednamburgess said...

Very beautiful. I'm sure it feels good to show a finished product. I have 3 quilts in different stages and need to get them finished. Right? Edna Burgess

Katie said...

I have yet to purchase any JellyRolls, but saw an idea on the Missouri Quilt Company YouTube channel just yesterday that I think I may do, and that is make your own JR from your stash. Since I used to buy all my fabric in 3 yard batches, I have plenty to play with. Another fun idea channel is the Fat Quarter channel, another I thing--just discovered it--is Shabby Fabrics. If you know of others, feel free to share.

Katie said...

I'm sorry, I actually meant to start out by saying....Congratulations on finishing you quilt. I really like it.

Anonymous said...

How nice to have it finished ahead of time! I only have the borders to go on my top, the goal for the month. 3 more days to do it!