1.03.2015

A Love Year Of Finishes ~ 2014 In Review

Starting off 2015 with a look back at 2014, and that includes my quilts.  :)  I thought it would be fun to see what I created in 2014 for ALYOF challenge. 

A Lovely Year of Finishes



I haven't done a thing with this quilt since I finished it last January.  Perhaps quilting it will be my first goal in 2015.


Tyler's quilt top was quilted.



This was one of my longest projects on my to-do list.  The pile of old, ripped jeans has been growing for years.  Step one was just getting them cut into squares.


I didn't make my goal this month, so I carried it over to May.





June 2014

Not much sewing going on with baseball season in full swing and 2 kids graduating.  I didn't even set a sewing goal for June, but I did bring my jeans quilt to the cold ball games to work on sewing on the binding.



Michael Miller fabric challenge for the Modern Quilt Guild.


I joined a block of the month club at my local quilt shop and discovered I would have to learn how to applique on my own.   Here is my first block.  It only took me 8 months to let go of the fear and get started.  :)



One of my favorite things about the modern quilting movement is making quilt backs that rival their fronts.  It's a fabulous and freeing way to use leftover fabrics and blocks from the front of the quilt.  For me, it's also easier to leave lots of "white space" on the back of the quilt than it is on the front.


Binding complete and this charity quilt is ready to go.  By now I have discovered how much I LOVE binding my quilts by hand.  I even volunteer to do quilts made by our guild.  It's a relaxing way to keep my hands busy.




My sewing machine decided it did not want to FMQ my Jelly Roll Race quilt.  :(  I was so frustrated with fighting with it that I still haven't finished the quilting.  It makes me sad because I wanted this quilt to find a home for Christmas.  



Thanks to some very kind blogging friends I have a few new ideas to try.  Hopefully one of their tricks will work.  If not I need to come  up with a new way to finish this quilt.

I need a break from the jelly roll race quilt, so I pulled out these half square triangle blocks from a class I took last winter and decided to make them into a quilt.  It ended up being a GREAT finish, but I couldn't use it for the ALYOF because it wasn't my goal for the month.




I was smart this year and set my December goal small and portable.  It isn't easy finding time to sew during the holidays.  This was the perfect goal and finish.

9 Official Finishes for A Lovely Year of Finishes!!!
A Lovely Year of Finishes

Here are a few more sewing finishes for 2014.  If you would like to do a search on my blog for more of my sewing projects just search for "sewing" "Sew Saturday" or "ALYOF".  






Now it's time to set my 2015 goals!  How did you do on your creative goals for 2014?  If you have been participating in ALYOF, be sure to link up with their year end party showing off all you've made.  I can't wait to see them!

No comments: