9.30.2014

Unique Blog Hop

My dear friend Kristie asked me if I wanted to take part in a unique blog hop.  Of course I said yes.  Thanks for thinking of me Kristie!

1. What am I working on?
Right now I am working on videos/card for a Holiday Class coming up in late October as well as cards for World Card Making Day this weekend.  StampNation will be rocking their challenges around the clock.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
There are 2 differences between me and the "typical stamper".  First, I didn't get my start in cardmaking.  Instead I got my start in scrapbooking.  Not only that, but I was a TERRIBLE cardmaker for years.  About 10 years ago I completely gave up and resigned myself to the fact that I would never be able to make cards that anyone other than my family would like.  Something finally clicked about 3 years ago and now I can't stop playing with my card supplies.

The second thing that sets me apart is that I am also a quilter.  I know I am not the only one out there, but most people are paper crafters or sewers, not both.  I try to reserve weekends on my blog for sewing, scrapbooking and other personal pursuits since cardmaking is now my job.

3. Why do I write/create what I do?
For others.  I want to bring them the same joy when they open their mailbox as I get from mine when there is a card instead of a bill.  Now that I have been on the receiving end of some gorgeous handmade cards I understand just how much love can be felt by the receiver of my cards.

As for teaching others, I do it because I was told I wasn't creative nor artistic as a child/young adult.  I can't draw, I can't paint beautiful landscapes and I haven't had any formal art training.  Since discovering the joy of creativity and how it has enriched my life I have wanted to share that blessing with others.  Any time I figure out a new technique or find a new tool I want to share it so you can try it too!

4. How does your writing/creative process work?
I pull creativity from several different sources and I never stop learning.   Last night was an example of that.  As I was finishing mowing the lawn I turned the corner and saw the most amazing sunset.  The way the light of the sun hit the clouds and washed the sky in colors of blush, peach and ocean blue instantly made me want to grab my camera for a picture and then my watercolor brush and white paint to make a card.  I circled the tree with my lawn mower and wished there was fabric in that design so I could make a bag to match a whole cloth quilt.

Once I have my inspiration I start thinking of ways I can translate that into a card, quilt or layout.  I look for colors, design, etc. to fit into the feeling or look of my inspiration piece.  If all else fails I look for a sketch.  I LOVE sketches and use them often as a jumping off point.

Now I get to nominate 2 people to keep this blog hop going.

First up is my dear friend and Stampin' UP! upline, Joan Robertson, of Joan's Daily Stampede.   Joan's Step It Up Saturday series taught me soooooooooooo much about the creative design process.  Without her help I would not be where I am today in my cardmaking.

Next I want to invite YOU to participate!!!!  This hop has been going around for awhile and many of you have already participated, but not all of you.  If you have not yet played along with this blog hop I invite you to answer these questions on your blog, ask 2 people to carry on and leave a link here so others can see your post.  (including me!)



1 comment:

Tracey McNeely said...

Heather loved to hear a bit more about you! Have a great weekend!