9.08.2013

Sew Saturday On Sunday

Sew Saturday is a little late this weekend.  We've been battling strep throat and sinus infections in our house this week.  Ugh.  I did manage to get lots done in my sewing room last week though before it got to me too.


First order of business was to get my fabric into this cabinet.  I picked it up at Cindy's going out of business sale back in July, I think.  It will end up going in the den to house my husband's models, but I figured I could use it to get my fabric off the ground and out of the plastic bags I brought them home in until I can find another cabinet to put in my room.


The OCD part of me wants to re-fold all the fabric so it is "even" and "pretty", but I haven't done that...yet.  For the moment the top shelf holds some of my most favorite fabrics.  It's mostly Batiks, including fabric for my Star Shadow quilt.  The next shelf down is fabric for my boys quilts.  The 3rd shelf down has flannels and "girly" fabric.  I love all of them!  On the bottom shelf, not pictured above, I have some patterns and fabric for bags along with odds and ends.


The shelf is not very tall, so I can use the top for storage.  In the photo storage box on the left I have misc. sewing notions.  In the small box on top of that, behind the sewing machine pin cushion is a box of sewing machine notions.  My extra bobbins, walking foot, FMQ foot, etc. are in there.  The sparkly binder in the center holds my notes from the FMQ class I took along with some stencils.  I need to find a better way to store stencils.  How do you store yours?   The "book" on the left is actually another box.  It holds my scissors and rotary cutter and blades.  Isn't it pretty?


Sasha loves this room.  She was under my feet while I was trying to organize fabric.  Here she is snuggling her Halo toy and licking her paws.  She has inspected that cabinet so many times you would think there was some treasure hidden inside.   I guess there is.  :)   She likes to lay in front of it when she isn't under the sewing table or climbing on the elliptical.

My Scrap Swap Fabrics

Our quilt guild met last Wednesday.  We brought our crazy cat blocks and also a bag of scraps to exchange.  I debated back and forth on whether to participate in the swap.  I'm new to quilting again and don't have much of a stash built up.  I have no idea what to make for another member, so that made me nervous too.  I'm not very confident in my sewing/quilting skills.  In the end I didn't want to miss out, so I pulled out some scraps, then cut some strips of my favorite fabric and brought it in.


I also picked up a bag of somebody else's scraps.  I loved her color choices.  The point of the swap is to get to know each other a little better by seeing what fabric they like and visiting their websites to see their style/interests.  Then we are supposed to make something "quilty" for them using their scraps.  Wouldn't you know it?  I got the SSMQG president's bag.  I LOVE her selection and I have NO IDEA what to make.  To say I am a bit intimidated is a HUGE understatement.  Hopefully I won't let her down.  I still have no idea what to make her.  Any ideas?  I'm open for suggestions.


Thankfully Melissa is one of the sweetest, most generous quilters you will find, so I am sure she will be gracious with me.  :)  A couple of months ago she talked about this iron cleaner pictured above.  She gave it away as a door prize, which I didn't win, so I asked her where to find this cleaner.  She got it at the commissary and picked up one for me.  Isn't that sweet?  She didn't have me pay for it either.  I'll have something for her next month as a thank you.   Our guild is so lucky to have her and our community is blessed because she brought the Modern Quilt Guild to us.

1 1/2" squares ~~~144 needed!

In other sewing news, if you're still with me, I have started cutting Tyler's quilt and I cut out all the pieces I need to finish up the stars on my star shadow quilt.  I wish I had added up the total number of pieces cut so I could share that with you. It's going to be a fun, quilty month.  :)


Creative Blessings,
Heather North

No comments: