9.13.2013

Faux Silk

Today's design team challenge at StampNation is to use the "Faux Silk" technique.  Who comes up with these names?  I didn't know it had a name, but I learned this technique from US Air Force Captain Catherine Todd at a scrapbooking workshop in my home over 8 years ago!  Yes, pilots like to scrapbook, make cards and can be women!!!  She is still my hero.



The technique that Catherine showed me was to take some pretty tissue paper, wad it up to get the tissue paper crinkly.



Then unwrap it and put it on a piece of cardstock with a glue stick.  It was so easy and so pretty.  You can use any color/pattern you want, and if you can't find a pattern just make your own by stamping on the color of your choice.  Even when I wasn't good at making cards I could use this technique and have pretty results. 



Today's card takes that up a notch with some stamping, layering and embossing.  The background stamp was inked up with Black Staz-On ink and stamped onto my red tissue paper.  I then layered the tissue paper onto Real Red cardstock.  It's fun to experiment with different colors of cardstock behind the tissue paper.  Each one give the tissue paper a different hue.


This card was going to be a sympathy card, but it took on a gothic look with all that black and red.  I quickly made it into more of a romantic card.  It was going to be sent to OWH, but with the added glitter strips, I'm not sure it will.  Perhaps I will try adding Crystal Effects over the Red Glimmer Paper to be sure no glitter will come off on our troops.


Techniques like these never grow old.  We can update them with newer products and trendy designs.  I hope you will give this technique a try.  It really is easy!

Creative Blessings,
Heather North

Card Recipe:
Stamps: Grunge Swirl (Stamper's Best), Loving Thoughts
Colors: Black, Real Red
Misc: Black Lace Ribbon (Retired), Gold Embossing Powder, Fancy Fan Embossing Folder



Loving Thoughts
Loving Thoughts

Red Glimmer Paper
Red Glimmer Paper

Fancy Fan Textured Impressions Embossing Folder
Fancy Fan Embossing Folder


No comments: