8.05.2013

Summer Sunset

Last weekend was a productive one in the hobby room.  I sorted through 6 months worth of pictures, so I can start on my 2010 album.  I filmed 4 videos, one of which turned out terrible, so it has already been deleted.   I made 5 or 6 cards and I even took some time to sew up some scraps for my next practice quilt.  It's amazing how much I can accomplish when I spend time doing what I love.  :)


DD#64


One of the things I did was work on some challenges.  This card was for one of them.  When I saw the challenge this week at Dynamic Duos I instantly thought of a summer sunset, so I went to my craft room to see if I could create that look with my inks, sponges and paper.  Here is the result.


After I sponged the background it seemed only natural to pull out my Postage Due stamp set.  Why did it take me so long to start using that stamp?   The collage of images makes quick work of any card.  Here is a close up of the sponging.


Since I already had my camera set up from the card I made before this one I decided to film a video on how to make this background. 

***Note- if you are reading this post in an email you may need to go to my website to view the video below.  Click on the post title "Summer Sunset" above and it should take you directly to this post on my blog.  :)

While filming the video I thought I would also be using a sketch challenge, but I ended up coming up with a design all on my own.  :)  I  used the Fancy Fan embossing folder on the background layer of Strawberry Slush cardstock, then I pulled out the Modern Medley DSP and made a few banners.   After attaching the banners I curled the ends just a bit.

Color challenges are usually a strugle for me, but this one wasn't.  Even though it used yellow, the color I struggle with most when making cards.  I think Dynamic Duo makes it easy, because they only have 2 colors and your neutrals.   I hope you will give this technique a try. 



I'll have another video up on Thursday, if I can get it edited by then, that uses sponging and gives you some tips on how to get a smoother blend.  This card was more "blotchy" and the colors are really distinct.  I didn't want them to blend, but sometimes I do.   Come back tomorrow to see another challenge card I made over the weekend for Operation Write Home. 

Creative Blessings,
Heather North


Modern Medley Designer Series Paper
Modern Medley DSP

Fancy Fan Textured Impressions Embossing Folder
Fancy Fan Embossing Folder

Postage Due Clear-Mount Stamp Set
Postage Due


7 comments:

Linda said...

Your background is beautiful. Love it. Such a pretty card.

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful blending. Thank you so much for sharing with us this week at Dynamic Duos!

Susie W. said...

Gorgeous background sponging! I enjoy sponging, too. Isn't it fun???
Very pretty card Heather! I'm so glad you joined us at Dynamic Duos this week. :)

Heather North said...

It is fun! You never know what you are going to end up with. Most of the time it is different than I expect, yet still lovely somehow.

Michelle said...

Amazing, Heather! I love how you've used the colours! Thanks for joining us at Dynamic Duos!

AB. said...

Beautiful card which shows off a great technique! Thank you for sharing with us!
Thanks for joining us this week at Dynamic Duos! :)

Anne Marie Hile said...

What a beautiful card and I love the technique. Such a beautiful way to showcase that stamped image. Thank you so much for joining us this week at Dynamic Duos! :)